Sunday, May 15, 2011

Rock Garden

As a plant lover, I've never really like the idea of a rock garden.


With the warmer weather and the risk of frost dropping, I rented a tiller from Ace and started working on some plots for vegetable gardens. The plan was to do two plots, one on the side of the house and another at our back door that would eventually become a flower garden.

I must admit that as I started plowing the virgin land next to the house, the tiller threw me around quite a bit. You see, I'm small and skinny. It's not like I've never used a tiller before, but this time I had a very hard time getting the tiller to dig into the ground. At first I thought it must just be hard ground because it had never been tilled before, but then I saw the rocks...

Two hours later, sweaty and beat, I decided to take the tiller back and just do one plot this year.



As you can see, I pulled out a lot of gravel (not sure if the gravel is from construction) and a lot of bigger rock. I talked with a neighbor that was walking by and she informed me that the whole neighborhood grows rocks on their ground, not just mine :).



After pulling out all that rock, I don't think it looks a whole lot better.




It's still hard for me to believe that this hill, that looks as fertile as the Tennessee valley, has this much rock. So now that I have a rock garden, I can say with confidence that I hate rock gardens.

Next up: Randy vs. rabbits.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Looks great! Sorry about all the rocks; that's frustrating! But, you will have a beautiful garden before you know it! I bet the girls will LOVE picking all the vegetables and bringing them inside (unless they eat them before they can make it inside!). Good work!

Nelda said...

Hooray for gardens-- that's so exciting! It's been so cold and wet (and busy)that I haven't been able to get mine in yet. Randy totally looks like he's sporting some farmer's overalls in one of those photos.

Randy said...

I do still own a couple three jumpsuits from the Kater Shop :)

Bethany said...

Instead of Kelly trying to find Randy a job at L3 maybe Randy should try to find Kelly a job out there. Your backyard view is breathtaking. You have trees!!! And bunnies?!? We have to come visit! I'm waiting in suspense to hear about those fuzzy critters. Sorry about the rock garden. I can't believe how big and cute your 3 girls are getting. I have to say I'm still a little jealous about your little women. Sure miss you guys!